New York, NY – email@example.com – hillelarnold.com
- Master of Arts in History (concentration in Archival Management), New York University, New York, NY, 2009
- Masters of Science in Library and Information Science, Palmer School of Long Island University, New York, NY, 2009
- Bachelor of Arts in English Literature (Post Colonial Literature), Hunter College, 2005
Assistant Director, Head of Digital Programs (June 2012-present) - Rockefeller Archive Center, Sleepy Hollow, NY
- Implement, develop and maintain a variety of user-centered technical solutions to increase discoverability of and access to archival materials.
- Identify use cases, develop functional requirements, implement and customize systems to match those use cases and requirements.
- Evaluate and improve systems with ongoing testing including established metrics and in-person usability testing.
Project Archivist (September 2009-June 2012) - Tamiment Library/Robert F. Wagner Labor Archive, New York, NY
- Arrange and describe the Daily Worker/Daily World Photographs Collection.
- Respond to reference requests, including on-demand digitization.
- Serve on Special Collections EAD Stylesheet subcommittee.
- Co-found and contribute to The Back Table, a blog for NYU’s Special Collections.
- Develop policy and documentation for repository’s descriptive practices and implementation of the Archivists’ Toolkit.
Digital Projects Manager (October 2007-July 2009) - Foundation for Landscape Studies, New York, NY
- Develop and implement digital library of cultural landscape images to be served via a variety of media, in collaboration with the Society of Architectural Historians and ARTstor.
- Create metadata using VRA Core 4.0 schema and Getty Vocabularies (AAT, TGN, ULAN).
Graduate Assistant (May 2007 – July 2009) - Tamiment Library/Robert F. Wagner Labor Archive, New York, NY
- Survey, accession, process and create DACS-compliant finding aids for collections using the Archivists’ Toolkit.
- Facilitate repository’s implementation of the Archivists’ Toolkit, including data ingest and cleanup.
- Develop procedures and documentation for EAD encoding.
- Survey Asian- and Pacific-American collections in the New York metropolitan area (METRO grant-funded project in collaboration with the Asian/Pacific/American Institute at NYU).
Archives Assistant (October 2005 – August 2007) - Woody Guthrie Archives, New York, NY
- Accession and describe additions to collection.
- Process rights requests for print, audio, and video materials.
- Provide reference support for internal and external research by email, phone and in person.
- Develop public programs (Global Woody: Language, Culture, History and Harmony) and exhibits (Note of Hope, Cartoon Limbo).
- Supervise interns on specialized projects including as collection processing and database creation.
- Implementing DACS in an Integrated CMS: Using the Archivists’ Toolkit, Society of American Archivists, January 2009.
- Internship, Digital Experience Group, New York Public Library, January-May 2009.
- Natural Languages: Spoken and written English; reading knowledge of Spanish and German; familiarity with Urdu.
- Programming Languages: Ruby, Python, PHP, SQL, Unix shell scripts.
- Applications: Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Archivists’ Toolkit, ArchivesSpace.
- Web Frameworks/Content Management Systems: Rails, Django, AngularJS, Bootstrap.
- Operating Systems: Linux, Mac OS X, Windows.
- Database Systems: MySQL, MongoDB, Access.
- Archival/Library Metadata Standards: DACS, EAD, Dublin Core, MODS, METS, TEI.
- Classification Standards and Thesauri: LCSH, LCNAF/NACO, LC Classification, AAT, VRA 4.0 Core.
- System Administration: Linux, Apache, Tomcat, MySQL.
Papers and Presentations
- Records in Motion: an open, standards-based approach to digital records transfers, (poster, with Hannah Sistrunk) Society of American Archivists Research Forum, August 2018.
- Archival Values, (speaker) Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, August 2018.
- Learning in Motion: Collaborating Across Organizations to Manage, Preserve & Use Digital Records, (panelist) Technology Affinity Group, November 2017.
- For Good Measure: The Role of Regulatory Records in Environmental Maintenance, (speaker, with Eira Tansey) Society for the History of Technology, October 2017.
- “What’s Wrong and How to Fix It”: Woody Guthrie and the Maintenance of Folk Music, (speaker) Maintainers II, April 2017.
- Archives as Sites of Resistance, Liberation and Creativity, (speaker) The Word is Action: Engaging the Bible and Social Justice in memory of Walter Wink, October 2016.
- Critical Work: Archivists as Maintainers, (speaker) Society of American Archivists Research Forum, August 2016.
- Foundation Archives: How Changes to the Way We Work is Sparking Innovation in the Way We Record Our History, (panelist) Philanthropy New York, March 2016.
- staticAid: a static site generator for archival description, (speaker) Code4Lib Conference, March 2016.
- From Transfer to Access: Digital Records at the Rockefeller Archive Center, (speaker) Consortium of Foundation Libraries, Council on Foundations, July 2015.
- Making EAD Make Sense, (speaker) New York Archives Conference, June 2015.
- Arrangement and Description for Born-Digital Materials, (speaker, with Bonnie Gordon) CURATEcamp, April 2015.
- Better Search Through Listening, (speaker) edUI Conference, October 2014.
- Highways, Wires and Tubes: Regulation, Power and Communication Networks, (speaker) Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, August 2014.
- Testing Early, Testing Often, (speaker, with Sibyl Schaefer) Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference, May 2013.
- The Burning of Paper Instead of Children, (speaker) Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, August 2012.
- The Daily Worker and Daily World Photographs Collection, (speaker) Archivists Round Table of Metropolitan New York, 2011.
- It’s a Small World After All: The Daily Worker and Daily World Photographs Collection, (speaker) New York Archives Conference, June 2010.
- Documenting the Asian/Pacific American Community, (speaker) Archivists Round Table of Metropolitan New York, 2009.
- Audio Collections at the Woody Guthrie Archives, (speaker) Association of Recorded Sound Collections, New York Chapter, 2009.
- Documenting the Asian/Pacific American Community, (speaker) Metropolitan New York Library Council, 2009.
- Working with Living Archives: Challenges and Opportunities in a Survey of Asian/Pacific American Collections in the New York Metropolitan Area, (poster) Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, August 2009.
- Too Much Information: Archival Description of Radical History Collections, (speaker) National Council on Public History, April 2009.
- Working with Living Archives: Challenges and Opportunities in a Survey of Asian/Pacific American Collections in the New York Metropolitan Area, (poster) National Council on Public History, April 2009.
- The Future of Email Archives (contributor), Council on Library and Information Resources, August 2018. permalink
- “Implementing Schema.org at Rockefeller Archive Center” (case study) in Putting Descriptive Standards to Work (eds. Kris Kiesling and Chris Prom), Society of American Archivists, 2017. permalink
- Shared inquiry in the archives (with Laura Miller), National Council on Public History, History@Work Blog. 26 July 2016. permalink
- The First Publishing Experience (Or, Using Graduate School Work for a Higher Purpose) (contribution), SAA SNAP Roundtable Blog. 17 December 2015. permalink
- My Name Is New York: Ramblin’ around Woody Guthrie’s Town, PowerHouse Books, 2012.
- A Sign of Contradiction: The Record Keeping Practices of the New York City Catholic Worker, American Catholic Review 121:2 (Summer 2010). permalink
- Introduction to DACS, (instructor) Society of American Archivists, 2013-present
- Advanced Archival Description (adjunct professor) New York University, 2015-present
Memberships and Professional Service
Society of American Archivists
- Member, 2007-Present.
- Member and Instructor, Technical Subcommittee on DACS, September 2010-August 2016. Co-Chair, August 2015-August 2016
- Administrator, EAD Help Pages Bibliography, December 2010-August 2013.
- Co-Chair, EAD Roundtable, August 2011-August 2013.
- Member (ex officio), Technical Subcommittee on EAD, August 2011-August 2013.
Archivists Round Table of Metropolitan New York
- Member, 2008-Present.
Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference
- Member, 2009-Present.